Pages

Thursday 3 February 2011

Yumminess and journaling

I ordered some yarn from Flamboyance Yarns last week as Carrie has offered to knit me a scarf.  I needed to get some 4ply or sock yarn for the scarf.  When Carrie tweeted that Flamboyance had 20% off all yarn for one day only I rang her and we chose the yarn.

The one in the right of the picture is for my scarf and the one on the left is fibre for spinning.  Carrie has a spinning wheel and I'm gonna try and do it myself and is I can't manage, Carrie will do it for me.  This is gonna be fun!!!

Aren't the colours just yummy!!


As I've not been feeling too well I've ordered loads of crafty books and have a little bit of mojo reappear!!  My spasms have all but stopped now, but I'm still so tired so I've done a little bit of journaling to cheer myself up.  I still can't sit at my craft table for too long so I've pretty much done these pages in fits and starts.  But that's the beauty of journaling - you don't need to do it all in one go!

This first page is my first attempt at layers.  I originally wrote a letter to Martha (my gorgeous cat who died in May last year) and it made me so sad each time I saw it that I wanted to cover it up.  So I started with a couple of layers of gesso, followed by some watered down yellow and ultramarine Golden paint.  Once that way dry, I used torn book pages and used gel medium to stick them down.  Then I used white acrylic paint to make marks over the pages with bottle caps, credit card edges, the lid from a large Malteser tube and a texture stamps that I found in the kiddies section of an craft store.  I'm really pleased with the result.

The next page is something that just popped into my head one day when I was walking (carefully) downstairs.  I'm really pleased at the way it turned out.  I used music paper behind Darth Vader as I can't look at that picture and not here his music from Star Wars!!!


5 comments:

judith@poppy cottage said...

Hi Jill, I love the bright cheery colours of the wool for your scarf, it will cheer you up even on the coldest day. I'm a bit of a wool hoarder, as I used to knit a lot when Megan and Ryan were younger.
I've seen pages with a letter as the first layer before, it's a lovely idea, and very good for the soul. Your Darth Vader page is very funky, and makes me smile! I could hear the dum dum da dum music as I looked at it too! Hope you are well, Judith xx

mamapez5 said...

Yummy colours indeed! I hope you can manage the spinning. I am sure it will be a very satisfying thing to do. I'm glad the new medication is helping a bit. Kate xx

erasercarver said...

Oh, I just *love* your Darth Vadar page, fantastic!

The yarn looks yummy - I can't wait to knit up your scarf for you. And we'll get you spinning, definitely :)

Janet said...

Despite being so poorly you have been busy! I can understand completely why Martha's letter was so upsetting to see. I still can't look a pictures of my late dogs without getting teary eyed. Hope you feel better soon.

Janet xx

spinningdownunder said...

If you have problems treadling the spinning wheel, have you thought about a drop spindle? Its very soothing feeling the fibres slip through your fingers and become yarn, and satisfying too. I find it centres me after a rough day, almost like meditation, and something you can do for a short time every day. I hope you learn to love it too.