Friday, 4 June 2010

Creative Road Canvas


I decided I wanted a large canvas to go on the chimney breast wall above my bed.  I got a 27" x 19" canvas to paint.  I knew I wanted to put smaller canvases onto it and decorate them.

I began by putting shades of orange, red and yellow Lumin Arte Radiant Rain  onto the canvas in 3 curved stripes.  This didn't work, so I pained over the whole thing with the same orange as I had used originally.  Unfortunately it didn't cover the red very well, so I used a Stewart Gill colourise in orange and roughly smooshed that over the top.  Then I sprayed Sticky Fingers Fireworks Orange over random portions of the canvas.

Happy with the overall effect, I realised that the colour was almost the same as my bedroom walls and it would just sink into them rather than stand out!  So I hand painted (eek!!!) a frame around the edge of the canvas in a blue Stewart Gill Byzantia paint.  The colour labels have come off the lids of most of my Stewart Gill paints so I don't know their names!!

I got my smaller canvases and placed them onto the larger one to get the placement and sizing right before I painted them - 2 in green Byazantia, 3 in blue Byzantia and 1 in a lighter shade of orange (can't remember what!).

This smaller canvas (left) was the orange one and I made some basic Grungebord flower.  I drew a flower to use as a template onto paper before cutting it out and drawing round on the Grungebord.  I painted them in shades of purple before assembling and using an aqua coloured bedazzles for the centres.  The stems are Grungebord too.

This canvas on the right was done by stamping Paperartsy stamps onto Ten Seconds Studio (TSS) metal in Periwinkle and Appletini using black Stazon.  I then put an Humungo adhesive sheet onto the back of the metal and put it onto cardboard.  The sheet provides a kind of 'cushion' for you to using an embossing tool to go around the stamped lines.  You have to do this before it is cut out as some of the lines are the outside of the image.  I cut it our and used Glossy Accents to stick it to the canvas and had some pieces over the edge to add interest to the overall effect.

This canvas (left) was painted green and I applied a small glittered rub-on of an angel to it with some effort.  The rub-on did not want to stick to the canvas, but I managed with a little perseverance.  It looked too pristine so I distressed using a Tim Holtz Craft Scratcher to scratch pieces of it off.  Then I put a acetate frame from Tattered Angels around the small canvas to finish it off.

All of the other green and blue painted canvases were decorated with TSS metal using the same technique as above using the same colour metals to tie it all together.


So if you're still with me after reading that l-o-n-g post, here is your reward - the finished canvas which has pride of place on my wall!


Hope you've enjoyed this little look at my art.

5 comments:

erasercarver said...

Such a beautiful canvas, Jill, I love how zingy and full of life it is.

Janet said...

A lovely eclectic mix on your canvas and I love the vibrant orange and blue/green. No one else has got one of those!!

Janet xx

Phree said...

Welcome to blogland Jill. Looks like you had a lot of fun playing with things to make your lovely canvas! Looking forward to seeing more of your creations here.

veronica said...

your canvas looks lovely Jill - bright and cheerful too! Love the two small blue pieces, and the dragonflies and bird

craftimamma said...

Oooh, love that bright orange Jill and I especially like the distressed angel and the use of the PaperArtsy stamps.

Hugs
Lesley Xx